Monday, April 21, 2014

2.10 - Say Something

Despite the days and weeks that have passed since Alexis disappeared, the police are no where close to finding her. Dora’s convinced that they aren’t even looking anymore. Alexis left a letter saying that she was going to go look for Blaine because she missed him, and the police took that as an adult deciding to move away. Dora knows Alexis isn’t always in full control of her mind, but no one listens to her!


It worries Gem that no one seems to care about Alexis going missing. She’s an older woman and has gone through a great deal of trauma throughout her life. 

“It’s because she’s a witch.” Dora mutters. “Racism exists even here, you know. The officers still have to report to the Sunset Valley PD and they think she isn’t worth their efforts because she’s a witch and should be able to think for herself. We’re still not considered people, even in our haven. It’s ridiculous!”


Gem knew a bit about the racism in other towns because of stories from his dad’s childhood, but he didn’t realize it was quite this bad right at home.


 Isidore’s birthday comes and goes, and in September he starts school. Gem buys him the best cake at the bakery, hoping to make it a big affair, but in the end its only them and Leya.


“Why isn’t mom here for my birthday?”

Because she thinks I’m going to leave her like everyone else. Because she’s a selfish bitch. Because she’s out at the bar drinking while pretending to be out working. Because she doesn’t want to live in the real world.


But of course he doesn’t say that out loud. Instead: “She’s just very busy with work right now, squirt. She’ll be here in the morning before you go to school, okay?”


Bayrose gets home around 2 in the morning, smelling like booze and missing her high heels. Gem tries to give her a hug but she shies away.


“What’s wrong?”


“Nothing! I just don’t want to hug you right now, okay? I’m tired and I want to go to bed. And the kids in their room?” 


“Of course they are.” Gem sighs. “Isidore and I spent the whole day decorating his room. You know, because today was his birthday. Why weren’t you there? I even called you!”


For a moment, Bayrose looks regretful. “I thought his birthday was tomorrow. I invited-“ Her words trail off, her lower lips quivering before she regains her composure. “Well, that doesn’t matter anymore. I’ll have to tell him in the morning how sorry I am and see if I can make it up to him.”


“What about making it up to me?” Gem asks. “Bayrose, I know your mom’s disappearance scared you, but I need you to come back. I can’t raise Leya and Isi all by myself! They need you too, heck, -I- need you too. Why are you avoiding us?”


“My mother is gone, Gem.” She spits at him. “Beacan’s dead, Blaine’s gone, now her. What the fuck is stopping you from leaving too? I’m certainly not. I’ll do better with Isi and Leya, but I’m not going to give you the chance to hurt me.”


“I’m not going to leave you.” He sighs, reaching for her again.


She flinches backwards, and then shakes her head. “Fine. Then I’ll leave. I’m spending tonight at Dora’s. Goodnight.”


Leya’s birthday flies by and she joins Isidore at elementary school.


Isidore hates school, and unlike Leya, he always goes to play after school rather than do his homework. It never fails though, as soon as dad gets home Leya tells on him and he’s grounded until dinner.


One day Gem gets some exciting news from work. 


“They need a delegate to go to Sunset Valley for a few months to talk about occult rights and I was at the top of the list! What do you say about going on a vacation for a bit with me? They’re even offering to homeschool the kids if we bring them.”


“Are you kidding? You want me to just drop everything a follow you around like a docile little trophy?”


Gem can’t believe his ears. “I didn’t say anything even close to that!”


“You have been nothing but touchy and rude for months now, and don’t think no one’s noticed! I have been more than patient and I thought getting away from Moonlight Falls for a bit could HELP you! Why are you being so rude?”


“You don’t care about me!” Bayrose shoots back. “You only care about your career and how YOU will benefit from this trip! I need to be here working on my career and following MY dream, not yours.”


“I have never, nor will I ever get in the way of your music, Bay. I know you love it, but I also know that you haven’t been going out every night to sing or do auditions. I don’t know why you’ve been avoiding me and the kids or why you keep acting like I’m doing something wrong, but dammit Bay, can’t you see that this trip is the best thing for us? Or don’t you even care about us anymore?”


“How can you say there even is an us anymore? I’m not going to stop you from going right back into Fawn’s arms, or anybody else's for that matter. I know your goddam secretary has been trying to get into your pants!” 


It it wasn’t for his father’s lessons advocating against violence, and his mother’s meditation lessons, he may have slapped her for even suggesting he’d cheat on her. 


“I’m going to spend the night at my parents’ place. In the morning, if you’re up for it, we can talk about this again. But right now, I need time away from you.”


He steps out into the cold rain and stops at the sidewalk to think. Life has been hell between him and Bayrose for a while now, she’s been keeping him at arm’s distance ever since Alexis disappeared, and he knows its because she think he’s going to leave but he won’t! He’s just- leaving now… Wait, that’s not a good idea.


With a sigh, he turns back towards the house to head back inside but a bright green light from the heavens grabs his attention instead.


Within a blink, he’s gone.


---

THERE. Melissa, I know I promised you an alien abduction over a year ago but I couldn't fit it in earlier! But it worked so well for this generation! (Couple + Half siblings. Alien baby WILL NOT BE CHEATING. HAH.)

Leya is so lovely. Why couldn't I have had her in my previous play through of Gem's story? She would have been such a pretty heir! Ah well. Isidore is pretty damn adorable too, and I can't wait to see heir #2 (if we ever get there...).

Gem is at level 4 of the political career and Bayrose is at lvl 5 of singing. Gem is a lvl 1 celebrity and Bay is lvl 2. I've been hesitant about revealing that part of their roll since I've been having glitches with the celebrity progression but it seems to have fixed itself after Bay hit lvl 2 so... yeah.

Gen Goal: 5 Star Celebrity (Only Bayrose needs to hit this)

7 comments:

  1. GEM! Nooooo! Ohhohohooh no. If Bayrose is so concerned about him leaving her, how will she take it if he comes back with an Alien baby going on? And Bayrose. Oh Bayrose. You know better, and you know what's going on. Don't take it out on your kids and Gem. :( And will we be seeing Alexis again?

    Hey! We need to see Isidore better! Leya is indeed a cutie! Just adorable!

    Oof! 5 star celebrity! You've got a lot more patience with celebrities than I do then! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually don't know if we will ever SEE Alexis again, but we will find out if she ever found Blaine during generation 3.

      There's more to Bay's absence than we know, but we'll see more once the next chapter is out (photos have already been taken). You will either hate her eternally or respect them decision she makes and like her. We'll see!

      Delete
  2. Oh Bayrose *sigh* she's really trying to fulfil her own prophecy about everyone leaving her isn't she? And now Gem's been abducted by aliens I shudder to think how she's going to react...

    I'm worried about Alexis, even if she succeeds in finding Blaine, I can't imagine scary-goddess-lady is going to take that well :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We'll be back to focusing on Bayrose and what's she's going through mentally next chapter. : )

      And YES, I was hoping someone would talk about Kaia. She really wouldn't be happy about Alexis showing up unannounced.

      Delete
  3. I think Bayrose has some really big issues that she needs to work through, though in her defense she has lost a lot of her loved ones fairly recently. I hope Gem follows through on his promise to her, and that he really does stick around, maybe with time she'll believe. Haha, one could hope anyway!

    I wonder if Alexis harbors any guilt from missing out on so many years of Blaine's life---maybe that was why she wasn't content to sit and wait---but tried to go find him. Unfortunate for her, Blaine is being trained (!?) by a not so nice someone. I hope Alexis is not added to the death toll!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure if I'll ever go into this in story so I want to say it here. Alexis never felt a close connection to the twins. She missed out on so much of their life that she was never able to connect to them the way she connected to Blaine. She knew Blaine as a child, and loved him, and when she came back he was a man and he didn't need her anymore. But after Sophie died, he did need his mother but instead of going to her he disappeared. Thats why Alexis left, to find her son and be there for him.

      Delete
    2. Ah---that makes sense. =)

      Delete